Active Nutrition nutrition health diet sport Katikati Omokoroa Tauranga Mount Maunganui Papamoa Te Puke

 

 

 Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA)

BIA is the smart way to analyse your training and weight loss.  It allows you to track your fitness progress through regular monitoring of muscle mass increase to fat mass decrease as well as changes in BMI, percentage of to body fat, waist-to-hip ratio, and basal metabolic rate. It also allows you to identify areas that need to be worked on to achieve muscle balance (arms and legs).

Body Mass Index (BMI)
We are judged on our BMI, categorised as either underweight, normal, overweight or obese. However, BMI is only a rough guide used to assess body fat and is based on an individual's weight and height. BMI does not actually measure the percentage of body fat; it only gives theorised information about obesity. This is because BMI does not allow for muscle mass. As a result many people who, due to a higher muscle mass, fall into the “obesity” category when clearly they are not obese. This is misleading and can be counterproductive to those who are trying to maximise their fitness.

Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) will measure actual muscle and fat mass as well as giving suggested muscle and fat control information. Regular BIA analysis allows you to track your training progress, showing muscle mass increase and fat reduction.

Muscle Balance
Muscle balance is important, not only for aesthetics, but also for sports performance and injury prevention.  BIA measures limb muscle mass differences.  By tracking your training through regular BIA readings you can assess the effectiveness of training.

Waist : Hip Ratio
Research shows the importance of maintaining correct waist : hip ratios.  It is a guide to where we are carrying our weight and has a direct link to cardiovascular disease as the more weight (fat) we carry around the waist, the more fat there is putting pressure on our organs (in particular our heart and lungs) higher the risk of cardiac events (heart attacks).  Ideal ratios is between 0.8 - 0.9 for men, and between 0.75 - 0.85 for women.

BIA gives a quick, effective waist : hip ratio reports.

Metabolism
Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the basic energy (calorie) requirement of the body for "living" (breathing, heartbeat, etc.) and, for the average person, accounts for about 60% of our daily calorie intake.  The other 40% calorie demand, 10% is for digestion and processing food, and 30% for physical activity.

BIA assesses the BMR and calculates your minimum daily calorie requirement.  The larger your muscle mass the greater your BMR.  This is because muscles demand energy to maintain them at rest, once we increase physical activity our energy demand increases.  Fat does not require energy to maintain it.

Weight loss occurs when the balance of calorie intake is less than calorie consumption (used in exercise).  A food diary analysis can help you achieve the ideal balance of calories for your requirements.  By following up a BIA assessment with a nutrition consultation I can give you realistic and practical advice on how you can improve your metabolism, achieve a healthy eating regime that supports your training goals, and live a longer, healthier life.

Book an appointment

 What We Do

Nutrition and fitness consultations.

Learn more

 About me

Diana Bomford
BachSpRec (Sport & Exercise Science)

Learn more

 News and Events

Anouncing..........

Learn more